re: Blew a rod

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: re: Blew a rod
Date: Sat, 8 Jun 2002 21:05:20 +0100
If it had broken a con-rod the "faint knocking" would not be
"faint"! - The broken end of the rod would be thrashing around inside
the block doing all kinds of damage, and trying its hardest to punch a
big hole in the crank case wall.

Faint knocking is much more likely to be just a big end bearing that
has run.   If this has only just become noticacble drop the sump and
replace the full set of big end bearings.  You may well be lucky and
find that the crank pins are not damaged and have not begun to go
oval. Bearings can be replaced in about 2 hours total time, without
removing the engine.  You can even replace the mains at the same time,
although this is a bit mort tricky,  and you can do the the crank
thrust washers too if you need to.

Guy