Re: Blew a rod

To: Carter Tuggle <goutvols2@mchsi.com>, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Blew a rod
Date: Fri, 07 Jun 2002 22:05:52 -0700
Had this very thing happen on one I owned years ago.  Started with a
rhythmic "rattle" under hard acceleration.  Gradually got louder,  gradually
lost oil pressure.  The total time from first sign of trouble to when I
pulled the engine was almost 5000 miles.  By that time, the big end of the
rod was out of round-egg shaped.  I had to turn the crank 20 under, and
replace the rod.  You can pull the pan on the 1500 in the car, but I
guarantee whether the noise is a rod bearing or not, the engine has to come
out anyway.  While it's apart, inspect and replace everything as necessary,
because the labor is the most expensive part, and having it out and apart is
more than half the job.
David Riker
63 Falcon
70 Torino