Re: Tire information

To: david@vermonthardwoods.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Tire information
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 13:29:25 EDT
In a message dated 8/29/02 12:38:05 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
david@vermonthardwoods.com writes:

> OTOH, I will agree that adding 2-3 PSI over the mfrs suggested will not only
> improve handling, but will increase fuel mileage to the point that it will
> likely more than pay for the tires wearing out sooner due to
> "overinflation". This in fact was suggested with some Pirellis I bought a
> number of years ago. Whether they still eschew this idea I don't know.

- - - - - - - - - -

Actually, I doubt that 2 or 3 extra lbs. in the tires will cause any problem
with overinflation.  The tires will probably run cooler because they won't be
flexing as much, so they should not wear out faster.  This is based on
something I read a few years ago in a car magazine.

I am not an expert on tires, but I learn quickly!  The huge majority of
"regular people" (not car nuts) out there who don't bother fiddling with the
air that came with the tires, usually are running 10 to 15 lbs. low.  They
are the ones who are really missing out, and in a lot of cases, they are
dangerous.

Does anybody have a pyrometer?  What happens when you boost up the pressure a
few lbs., or let it go down?

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget