Re:Heater control valve fitting

To: SDOliner@aol.com
Subject: Re:Heater control valve fitting
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 14:21:22 GMT
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
It is a standard pipe thread.  I'm afraid if I try to remember the exact size
I'll get it wrong.  Just take the mounting bit to the hardware store and you'll
be able to fit an iron or copper pipe nipple to it.

The other option is to tap the hole in the head itself.  I think this is a bit
stronger given the rather fragile aluminum fitting that would be there
otherwise.  Downside is that you have to worry about swarf getting into the
cooling passages and eventually the water pump.  I did it when the head was off
the block so I could clean it out.  You also have to find a way to block off
the stud holes because they go through to the cooling passage, too.  I just put
the old studs back in.  I'm relatively confident that I used a 3/8" NPT tap on
the hole.

Best,

David Littlefield