RE: That GT6 convertible

To: "Spridgets" <Spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: That GT6 convertible
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 06:15:37 -0700
Spridgeteers,

Robert wrote:
"I don't know anything about the differences /similarities between the GT6
and the Spit.  Well, I think that I know that the GT6 was a hardtop with a
six cylinder.  I thought that it was to the Spit what the MGB GT was to the
MGB?"

Not quite... If my memory serves me right, the GT6 came with a 2 liter
Triumph engine, not the 1500cc Spitfire motor. There were other differences,
such as the position of the filler cap as mentioned before. As for the GT6
gearbox, I thought British Leyland always fitted one of their own to these
cars.

I lived in England for 20 years, right at the time of production for the
Spitfire and the GT6- I did buy a 1979 Spitfire, and considered buying a GT6
at the time. For a few years (when I had the Spitfire), I was a member of a
Triumph club- I never saw or heard of a convertible GT6. I doubt any were
made by the company.

I believe the MGB/GT are one and the same car, except for the roof.

Jacques Le Clainche