Re: That GT6 convertible

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: That GT6 convertible
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 14:21:45 EDT
In a message dated 09/24/2002 7:18:12 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
jleclainche@cox.net writes:

> I lived in England for 20 years, right at the time of production for the
> Spitfire and the GT6- I did buy a 1979 Spitfire, and considered buying a
> GT6
> at the time. For a few years (when I had the Spitfire), I was a member of a
> Triumph club- I never saw or heard of a convertible GT6. I doubt any were
> made by the company.

The GT6 convertible is a modification made by someone.  The GT6 only came in
the hardtop version....same 6 cylinder as the first TR6's I believe.

Folks take a Spitfire tub and mount it to a GT6 frame (essentially the same
frame) and use a GT6 hood with the bulge to clear the 6 cyl. engine.

Should be a fairly hot prospect...the GT6 did suffer from "hot feet" in that
the exhaust heated up the foot wells and the interior pretty well.

Robert B. Houston

Santa Teresa, NM
'74 Midget
'63 TR4
'03 Beetle

...   Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick
  themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened."

  - Winston Churchill