Re: Couple of tech questions

To: cbking@alum.rpi.edu, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Couple of tech questions
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 09:49:54 EST
In a message dated 1/17/03 5:37:30 AM Pacific Standard Time,
cbking@alum.rpi.edu writes:

> Is there an easy way to remove brake caliper pistons from their bores
> without using compressed air?

- - - - - - - - - -

No.  BTDT, and air is the way to go.  If you don't have a compressor, go to
Walmart and buy a compressed air tank.  I got mine there.  They are cheap and
come with a short hose.  Also pick up a set of air nozzles that include a
rubber tipped blow gun, and you can get a coily hose that makes it nicer to
use.

Fill the air tank at your local garage.  Remember, we tight, so do not use
one of those 50 cent air things.  I refuse to pay for air!!!

When you blow the pistons out, wrap the caliper in a towel, and put something
between the pistons (like a scrap piece of plywood, not too thick) to keep
them from causing personal damage.  KEEP YER FINGERS OUTTA THERE!!!

Try to get both pistons to move out together by blowing very short bursts of
air.  If one piston is tighter than the other (fairly common) and you remove
the loose one completely, there won't be enough air pressure to remove the
tight one.  When the loose one looks like it is almost free, block it's
movement with something other than your finger, so the tight one can move.
(Re-read the warning above.)

Good luck, Chris!

Allen Hefner
Phila. Region SCCA Rally Steward