Re: VIN and paint removal now VIN Wrong

To: Loud Sprite <loudsprite@zexmedia.com>, Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: VIN and paint removal now VIN Wrong
Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 09:56:58 -0700
Alix,

I had a similar experience when registering my Morris Minor pickup that
came form Texas. Yes, all out of state vehicles need their VINs verified
once in California. I discovered one letter had been incorrectly recorded.
Sice the letter signified body style (a van vs a pickup) I felt it sould be
corrected. I brought to the DMV documentation that explained the coding and
they did correct it without too much hassle. They were not inclined to
change the year of the vehicle, even though I could document int was a '60,
not a '61. If you get a real dodo, ask to speak to a supervisor, they are
usually more reasonable about that stuff. In your case, I wouldn't worry
that much since the "U" stands for US market and it's obvious someone
recoreded the letter incorrectly. The "G" desinates the factory. If you
want to have it corrected, be armed with documentation like OSM or the
like. Also, you VIn number is stamped in two places on the chassis, so you
should be able to show that's it's correct. Verify the other places
yourself first and have you explanations together.

Gerard
San Francisco.