Re: VIN and paint removal now VIN Wrong

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: VIN and paint removal now VIN Wrong
Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 09:37:44 EDT
In a message dated 5/1/03 12:43:12 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
kgb2@centurytel.net writes:

> >  On my VIN there is a letter "U" while on my
> > Title and Registration it is a letter "V". Should I be worried? Can I ask
> > for it to be corrected now?

I am having this issue with the Bugeye I just purchased from Florida. The
Florida title omitted the AN5L prefix. I knew this was going to be a problem
so I went to the New York State DMV with two insurance cards, one with the
AN5L and the other without. My intention was to get the registration correct
(no title for pre 1973 cars), and brought the registration to the other
Bugeye with the correct Vin. with the AN5L... I was hoping that Show and Tell
might work. The humans wouldn't register the car with the AN5L prefix and the
computer wouldn't let them register it without it. Apparantely there is a
wealth of info in those DMV computers. I had three of the humans huddled
around one, and the Supervisor comes back to me and asks "What model is your
your car, a Frog or a Bugeye?"

They had me nailed as a trouble maker. There was the other issue of my trying
to register the car using my middle name (S. David). Don't ask what the S
stands for, but believe me if that was your first name you would go by David.
Both the humans and the computer deep sixed that idea.

The car is on a truck at the moment, but I was told that I will have to take
a rubbing of  the Vin plate and bring that back with me. I am thinking of
just unscrewing the plate and bringing it in. But I was told that it may be a
crime to remove the Vin plate. Maybe I will bring my Get out of Jail card
from the Monopoly game with me.

FWIW the registration on my TR4A reads CT6... while it should be CTC... It
has been like that for some 15 years. That seems to be the least source of my
troubles.

David Oliner