Re: dual braking system OK OK... it's simpler than that

To: "Bob Van Kirk" <racerbob70@yahoo.com>, "Gerard" <pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: dual braking system OK OK... it's simpler than that
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 21:34:39 -0400
OK guys and gals.... it's simpler than you're all
making it!
The dual ckt master works like this.

As you first apply pressure, the front ckt
sees the peddle pressure you applied.
Once the pressure is applied to the front ckt and the
piston i nthe master cyl has passed, and closed off
the intake hole from the reservoir...
and as you continue to apply pressure...the pressure
in the master cyl itself starts pressurizing the rear ckt.
So  the fronts will have pressure before the rears,
and unless the front ckt pops a cork, the rears would
never have more pressure than the fronts.

There is no 'proportioning valve' in the ckt. The
little do-hikky (what ever it is you all want to call it)
activates the failure warning light when one ckt sees
massive pressure when the other doesn't.  If the
fronts were working, and the rear leaking badly,
no pressure is built up in the rear of the master cyl.
So the differential valve sees high press. on one side and
not the other, thus shuffling it off-center.   And visa-versa
rears to front.  It is NOT designed to seal off the
damaged ckt. But in many cases it seems to.
Bleeding  the brakes properly, requires you to re-center
the shuttle IF it was knocked off-center. This Too, can
happen if too 'robustly' trying to bleed your brakes.

Yes...your brakes will work just fine without the differential
valve in the ckt. But you'd never know that one of the two ckts
is not working, until the second one fails, leaving you with
NO brakes at all.   Just like it sounds like what happened
to your friend leaving the pits.

Paul Tegler
ptegler@cablespeed.com
www.teglerizer.com