RE: Coil spring reinstall

To: John.Deikis@med.va.gov
Subject: RE: Coil spring reinstall
Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 15:26:20 GMT
Cc: mgraziano@mindspring.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
I agree with you, John, that the jack method works quite well and that the bolt
method is time consuming, particularly if you don't have an impact wrench to
run the nuts.  However, there are instances where the bolt method might be
employed.  For example, if the motor and tranny are out of the car there may
not be sufficient weight to compress the spring.  Now, I haven't had that
problem with the Midget, but I did with the MGA and MGTD (which was just a bare
chassis at the time I installed the springs).  However, I still avoided the
bolt method by connecting a chain to the jack that wrapped around the back of
the shock.

Also, I'll have to admit the bolt method is a bit safer and it scares me a bit
when working around a compressed spring with just the jack holding it.  I try
to stay out of its potential flight path as much as possible and I have the
trunnion bolt ready to go in quickly.

By the way, did you resolve your taper bearing problem?

David Littlefield

--- John.Deikis@med.va.gov wrote:

I keep hearing about this "long bolt" technique and just don't quite
understand.  If you can trust your floor jack to raise a car that has 4
springs, why not trust the same jack to raise an a-arm that has just 1
spring.  You just jack it into position and connect the outer fulcrum and
the upper piece that goes to the shock arm.  This bolt stuff is a pretty
complicated way to do something that seems pretty simple.