Re: newbie questions

To: rife@msu.edu, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: newbie questions
Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2003 18:11:44 EDT
In a message dated 6/3/03 6:40:36 AM Pacific Daylight Time, rife@msu.edu
writes:

> They are asking $3600, does this
> seem reasonable based on the description

Chris:

Based on the description this sounds like a good buy to me.  Take a magnet
and run along the body panels to check for excessive bondo (magnet won't stick
to bondo).  Does it have the original SU carbs or has the owner gone to Webers
or other carbs?  Check the underneath, especially the rear spring boxes for
solidity.  Jack up the front end and check the front suspension for top and
bottom movement.  Have someone hold the brakes on and try it if you do get
movement.  Movement with the brakes on will be beyond bearings.  The fulcrum
pin on
the front suspension is a weak point on these cars.

I drive mine year round but I live in Tennessee.  Salt is a mortal enemy of
these cars so if they use lots of salt up there, you might think of it as a
second car.

--David C.