Re: A day in the garage

To: "Michel R. Gagne" <mgagne@unc.edu>
Subject: Re: A day in the garage
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 19:15:39 -0700
Cc: spridget list <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Mike,

Here's my approach. The first steps are optional if you don't mid
working in all the grime.

Remove the wheels, drums, springs and shoes, but do one side at a
time so you can look at a the original assembly in case you get lost
putting it back together.

Next get a plastic pan (like a dish washing pan) that will fit under
the jacked up side. Anything similar will do as long as it will hold
liquid. This is optional if you don't care about how big a mess you
make or how much time it will take you to clean up...'-)

Next, scrape off as much of the heavy stuff with whatever tools you
have that suit this purpose. Dump the heavy stuff in a bag. Next,
employ a degreaser of some sort. I usually use and engine degreaser
followed by something like Simple Green. The tub will catch all the
drippings and make a fairly easy job of keeping this mess out of your
way.

This is a good time to inspect for signs of a leak from the hubs.
Sometimes removing the drum will allow a small amount of axle lube to
leak out between the hub and axle shaft flange. If you see evidence
of that or if there were signs of heavy oil deposits or wet shoes,
now is the time to replace the paper gasket and O-ring. It's easy to
do at this point and may spare you ruining your new linings.

At this point, I remove the wheel cylinders. You will need to remove
a circlip or a spring clip from the rear of the groove in the wheel
cylinder. This is on the opposite side of the backing plate. If you
have a circlip. which is what was often used originally, you will
need some circlip pliers to the them off. The spring clips can be
popped with a screwdriver. You'll need a lot of light to see either
though. I prefer the circlip as a replacement if you can find new
ones the right size in your hardware or auto supply store. The
circlips are a real pain to get back on. I find you need to grind off
a flat spot from one of the tangs to clear the brake line fitting.
YMMV.

More optional stuff...

When I want to spruce things up cosmetically, I'll take make sure
everything is dry and clean and then take a 6" wire wheel on a drill
to take care of any loose paint or surface rust. Wipe the surfaces
you want to repaint with either lacquer thinner or a paint degreaser.
Use a spray can or engine enamel or Hammerite.

The rest is simple... "assembly is the reverse of removal"...'-) Mow
you know why I say, do one side at a time.

Remember to use jack stands to support both sides of the axle. You'll
be doing some crawling around under there, so be safe.

Good luck.

Gerard

--
One meets his destiny often in the road he takes to avoid it.
~French Proverb