Re: A day in the garage

To: Gerard Chateauvieux <pixelsmith@gerardsgarage.com>, spridget list <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: A day in the garage
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 06:13:08 -0400
> This is a good time to inspect for signs of a leak from the hubs.
> Sometimes removing the drum will allow a small amount of axle lube to
> leak out between the hub and axle shaft flange. If you see evidence
> of that or if there were signs of heavy oil deposits or wet shoes,
> now is the time to replace the paper gasket and O-ring. It's easy to
> do at this point and may spare you ruining your new linings.

Gerard,
This indeed occurred!  In removing the passenger drum to scope out the job
the axle shaft pulled out and oil dribbled out.  Actually they came out
easily and went back in easily--is this a problem?? **Bearings**?

I'll call Peter for the paper gasket you referred to and O-ring.  I haven't
read up on that job yet.  Does this oil come through from the Pumpkin or is
it packed it there during assembly?

Thanks for the detailed instruction to you and all!  The Haynes manual tells
you what to do but you guys fill in the how to do it.

Mike Gagne