Re: parts washing solution

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: parts washing solution
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 20:37:58 -0700 (PDT)
--- Frank Clarici <spritenut@Exit109.com> wrote:
> BCAH@aol.com wrote:
> > I'm about to crank up the parts washer and was
> wondering what others folks
> > were using.
>
> I use paint thinner. The $1.97 a gallon stuff.
> Doesn't smell bad, not too toxic, cleans very well.
> Simple green is for dirt, not grease.
> The purple stuff cuts grease but it eats skin too.
ah!  Smatrt idea!!!   but doesn't it evaporate fairly fast?
 hmmmm....maybe not, it stays in the brush-cleanong can for
ages..

I have always used good ol' stoddards solvent like people
have done since the dawn of automotive time.....yeah! it's
not the best on your hands...dries them out, but after
using it for washing the bellies of airplanes from age
twelve to eighteen before anyone tells me it may e slightly
hazzardous, I really don't worry too much about my chenical
intake...such is life(I use a lot of MEK too...hmm!) aftetr
the firswt few years of use, your fingers stop swelling up
like ballpark franks.....so it can't be that bad, huh?
Now I try to use heavy rubber gloves when cleaning
sometimes...

just curious what others use!!!!  My room-mate taught me
fifteen years(or more?) ago back in college that WD-40 was
actually a wonderfull cleaner and NOT a lubricant!!!!! so I
keep gallons of the stuff around for many cleanig
purposes...never tried using it in the parts washer
yet....hmmm!

What else do y'all use for cleaning? (in or out of parts
washers)
I find at different times I tend to use most everything
available,from MEK and Stoddards solvent to the purple
stuff, oil eater, the orange based stuff, even different
acidic solutions and at times resort to oven cleaner and
good old spray-on engine Gunk cleaner...

I have learned to stay well away from simple green or any
earth friendly "dirt cleaners"
I waqnt to try the microbial cleansers too there are some
that are supposed to really work well on petrolium
products...

Paul