Fuel gauge and tach problems

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Fuel gauge and tach problems
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 07:58:24 EDT
Fuel gauge:

I am trying to sort how to test the fuel gauge in my Bugeye. This is one of
those simple, non voltage stabilized systems.

I have a collection of fuel gauges, none of which seem to work. Yesterday, I
filled the car, drove it for three hours, and then added 4.5 gallons of gas.
All the while the fuel gauge stayed at half a tank. This is really dicey, since
my odometer isn't working either. Although I just swapped in another speedo,
and will see if that one works better.

I started swapping the other fuel gauges, and now with an almost full tank,
got reading ranging from a quarter tank to empty.

I am getting 12 volts across the gauge.

What does this gauge actually measure? Volts, amps?

Is there any adjustment on the fuel gauge?

Is there some test I can perform at the dash, before messing around at the
sending unit?

Tach:

Electronic tach not working either. I have two smaller ones, but when I run
test wires one side to the ignition the other to the negative prong on the
coil, I don't get anything. Car is negative ground. Am I doing something wrong
here, or do I have a very large collection of non working stuff?

Which way are these tacks supposed to be hooked up? Namely where do the wires
from the bullet connect and the prong connect go. Can't tell from wiring
diagrams.

Will there be a way to swap the face and calibrate the tach?

David Oliner