Re: Windblocker

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Windblocker
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 14:57:53 -0700
Sorry for not replying sooner.  We have traveled with Doug & Eileen on
many long trips, like Lake Tahoe, and have discussed Doug's basic design
at length.  The Plexiglas is mounted to the frame, which fits into the hood
sockets on the sides of the cockpit.  So, either the windblocker is up or
the hood.  When stowed the windblocker fits into the storage sockets down
below.  Unfortunately, this also blocks access to the boot.

We adapted Doug's design to make a collapsible wind blocker, so it can
be stowed in the boot and not block access to the boot.  The windblocker
frame was cut at the center and a smaller diameter tube was inserted across
the cut.  This connecting tube has an OD equal to the ID of the windblocker
frame, for a tight fit.  Two sockets were brazed to each side of the windblocker
frame which accommodates a support bar, which anchors the Plexiglas.
When the frame is assembled and installed the sockets keep it from coming
apart.  The 3/16" PlexiGlas is secured to the frame with 10 small Velcro straps.
The location of the straps was worked out by trial and error.

When disassembled the two frame pieces fit in the boot with the hood.  The
PlexiGlas is also short enough to just fit in the boot as well, as it is just
the
length of the cockpit interior.  The support bar lies on the rear cockpit
bulkhead
and out of the way.

I fear this description is fuzzy for everyone, sorry.  I do have a Word document
with crude pictures, dimensions and descriptions.  If anyone is interested
please ask off-line, I'd be happy to send it to you.  The only change I would
recommend is to use 1/4" or 5/16" PlexiGlas, the 3/16" stuff flexes in the
wind more than I like, but it does the job in reducing the cockpit draft.

I had the local welding shop fabricate the frame, using the hood frame as a
guide for tubing size, frame width, bend radius, etc. for about $45.  A friend
make the center cut tube and brazed the side sockets to the frame, for a
lunch or two.  The PlexiGlas was less than $20.

Walt