Re: Pressure regulator suggestion

To: "Michel R. Gagne" <mgagne@unc.edu>, spridget list <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Pressure regulator suggestion
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2004 18:16:02 -0800 (PST)
--- "Michel R. Gagne" <mgagne@unc.edu> wrote:
> Hi all,
> Can anybody suggest a reliable and inexpensive fuel
> pressure regulator for
> my 74 midget.
> Thanks,
> Mike Gagne

Mike,
There are regulators and there are restrictors.  The
dial kind are merely orifice restrictors, so depending
on the fuel demand/flowrate, the pressure drop will
differ, so it will not regulate pressure, it will just
reduce it.  The real regulators use downstream
feedback on a diaphragm or a piston with a specific
area ratio relationship to modulate a valve and
maintain a (nearly) constant downstream pressure (all
regulators have "droop").  The Holley type regulator
is around $30, I think, from Pegasusautoracing.com,
and can probably be found cheaper.  You can set your
pressure by trial and error, but I tee'd in a gauge to
mine for a "known" reference.

=====
Ron Soave

"Chi spende meno spende piu."