Re: Brain teaser

To: Ron Soave <soavero@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Brain teaser
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 22:01:22 -0500
Cc: Bill L <pythias@pacifier.com>, spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Ron Soave wrote:

> It is NOT 40 + 40 = 80, twice as bad. The crash has
> twice the total energy, but each car absorbs half,

Ron

Did you prove this? Try this....
Take a hammer to your fender. The fender is a fixed object. Well it will
need to be "fixed" after this test :)
Now take the same hammer and hit a golf ball with the same force.
Ot make it a fender not sitting on the ground. I bet the mark isn't as bad.
Now take 2 of the same hammers (not chinese made) and snack them
together. They are gonna bounce off each other.
Take 2 fenders and smack them together, minor dents on each, now take
one fender in your hands and smack the fender on your car. I bet your
car's fender has a bigger dent.
It's gonna bounce off your fender too but it's gonna leave a mark.

Not that I want any more used rusty parts, but I bet there is a bounce
off factor in the head on where there is only 1/2 the bounce factor in
the immovable object.

Once you smash all these fenders, let us know if there is indeed a
bounce factor. I ain't no engineer so I don't give a sheet.

Example, in my line of work if I take a board (movable) and smash it
into another board alreaddy nailed up,(immovable) the smasher will most
likely snap off where the smashee will most likely look the same.
If I take those same 2 boards and smash them together, I made "clap"
boards and get a loud noise and still have 2 good boards.

then again, I could be wrong, I have been in the past.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ