Re: Thor Hammer / eared knock off spinners!

To: Geoff Branch <gjbranch@comcast.net>
Subject: Re: Thor Hammer / eared knock off spinners!
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 19:38:52 -0500
Cc: RBHouston@aol.com, spridgets@autox.team.net
Geoff Branch wrote:
> I think you are going to split the oak.  Wood splits very easily
>longitudinally.
> Think about using a product called "baltic birch" plywood (there are several
> other names too).  It's many layers, like 13 or so as I remember, in 3/4"
> thickness.  It's tough as nails, and won't have the tendency to split like the
> oak will.

Yes, any grained lumber will split.

Use plywood. Microlam beams are 1.75" thick and a whole lot of plys.
You can probably pick up a hunk at any housing development going up.
Or maybe the local lumber yard has a scrap.
Or get some 5 ply 1/2" plywood and glue it up to 1" shick before cutting
out a knock off wrench.
Or for the we tight crowd, keep a hunk of plywood with the hammer (any
hammer) and use it between the knock off and hammer.
Cheap, durable, small, and easily replaceable when it does get boogered up.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ