Thor Hammer / eared knock off spinners!

To: "Michael Carpenter" <MAIL4CARPENTERS@peoplepc.com>, "spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Thor Hammer / eared knock off spinners!
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 07:07:21 -0500
ok gang here is yet another news flash on current parts Vs. original parts!
our race morgan has 72 spoke competition wire wheels with two eared knock
off spinners.  (3 or 4 years ago we had the threads of 1 spinner break in
competition causing alost wherel in competition!) two of the knock offs are
OEM and two are aftermarket.
here's the interesting part i discovered just recently!
both knock offs are chromed and identical in apearances.   recently we
decided to drill the wings or ears for safety wire after repeted
reccomendations of other racers.   we had been intending to do this over and
over and it was a serious "we'll do it later" project.
now during the drilling i broke four 1/8" snap on double ended drill bits on
two of the knock offs.   i though this was not only annoying but odd!   here
are the results!
the OEM knock offs are a much much harder brass than the aftermarket
replacements!  the replacements have very significant distortion on the ears
from hammering them on and off.   the OEM ones are barely deformed at all in
the striking area of the wings!
the OEM ones took for ever to drill through where the replacements were like
drilling through aluminum(very soft and cut easily).   if you are going to
buy new knock offs they will work just fine but will deform from repeted
hammering .   you might find the ugly old knock offs a far better value
sending them out for rechroming  than the displeasure of finding the wings
smashing into a brassy mushroom on your brand new pretty spinners!
i am uncertain of the quality of the hexagonal knock offs but would suspect
the items are being cast and machined at a common facility in england.
presently we (yes! we!) are investigating the manufacture of aluminum
hexagonal knock offs (metalurgist and a machinist are involved here!)
intended for competition use to reduce unsprung weight while inproving
material strength.  this will be a project over the next year as we will be
giving a set of components to a testing facility of a vehicle manufacturer
(not allowed to say who!) to be strength / load tested in their labs before
we decide if this will become a real business venture.

chuck.