Re: Towing/trailering a bugeye

To: Lester Ewing <lewing@sport.rr.com>
Subject: Re: Towing/trailering a bugeye
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 20:58:35 -0500
Cc: Spridget List <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Lester Ewing wrote:

> Is the trim around the door and dash supposed to be flat black or
> aluminum and if so is it polished or brushed?

Dash strip is vinyl covered, the rear and door pieces were anodized
aluminum (semi dull) but I do keep mine polished.

> Who's carpet kit is the one to purchase?

Pep boys. $20 and some glue ;) Concours means rubber mats.

> The seats look like they were red and then painted black (car is red
> with generally black interior) and need new foam and new covers.  I s
> there a reason to get leather and again, who has the best kits.

Leather is nice as long as you don't get stuck with the top down in the
rain. Any upholstry shop can do the seats. I personally don't like those
seat kits, they just look wrong to me. Funky colors or something.

> Any reason I can't pressure wash the engine
> bay/suspension/undercarriage?  anything going to fall off that I should
> know about?

If it does, pick it up. everything should be secure enough for a
pressure washer.

> The car has a Moto Lita wood steering wheel and a wood gearshift knob.
> is this stock?  Anyone have any experience refinishing wood steering
> wheels??

Moto-Lita is not stock, so I'll trade ya :)
I have refinished a few wood wheels, sand them using 150 grit, then 400
grit. Fill any voids or splits with wood colored 2 part polyester resin
filler (bondo) available at any home center in the paint aisle.
Sand it again and spray it with a urethane clear coat. Now it's UV
resistant. Or use a good marine spar varnish.

> Behind the grill, which fell out, there is what looks like a bracket or
> spring clamp for something..  what should go there?

Prop rod.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ