FW: Engine Question

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: FW: Engine Question
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 21:12:04 -0800
Frank,

I am sure you are right about the 803 engine- it was first introduced in the
Morris Minor in the early 1950s, as you say, but never fitted to the Sprite.
Everything I ever read said the Sprite first engine was the 948cc.

Reliant did have a 748 cc in a three wheeler in the mid-seventies, but that
was called the Ant. I am pretty sure there were other models fitted with the
748, but none were called Sprite. By the way, one of my English friends had
Reliant three wheelers for years. Pretty quick, and more stable than one
might think, but I never felt safe in them.

I don't think Berkeley ever installed an engine bigger than 492 cc (three
cylinders) in their cars, and I don't recall any of their three or four
wheelers named Sprite either.

Jacques LC in SD

Frank wrote:
There was never a 750cc A series engine. I believe 803 was the smallest
A series, circa 1952 and it was never a factory installed Sprite engine.
BUT, there is always a but.
I am not positive on this but there was another Sprite model car from
England, possibly a Berkeley or a Reliant was badged as a Sprite.
And I think THAT car came with a 750cc engine.
Something I read 15 years ago somewhere and I am not about to look for
that info.
So he may be correct but he didn't have an Austin Healey Sprite.
At least not a stock factory AH Sprite.