Re: Names for cars

To: "Spridget" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Names for cars
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 08:41:44 -0800
> Would any of you be willing to describe what your inspiration was for
> your particular car name?

Gary always gives me a disgusted look when I tell anyone this, but all my
vehicles name themselves.  Sometimes, as in the case of Brutus, the F-350
crew cab, they shout their name from the car lot as they are asking me to
take them home.  Other times, I need to live with them for awhile before
they communicate with me, as in the case of Norman the Neon.

My Morris Minor was already named Maurice by his original owner, as was
Fred, my '69 IH pickup.  May they live long and happy lives with their new
owners.

Prior to my retirement, many of my buses also had names, much to the
consternation of the company mechanics.  There was Bowzer, Mutley, Spooky,
and Foxy, just to name a few.  Foxy was a Gillig Phantom that had been
rebuilt properly by one of the younger mechanics, and took off like the
winged version of a Phantom.  Spooky was haunted, so his name seemed
especially appropriate.

I would suggest that you live with your cars awhile, and see if a name
doesn't suggest itself, just as you would with a new pet.  After all, that's
what these cars really are.

Kate