First drive!

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: First drive!
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2004 1:11:12 +0000
Back when I was but a lad I had been working on my 100-6... I got it to the
point where it was drivable and decided to take it out for a spin. I was less
than a mile from home when a county deputy pulled me over! Last time I wave to
one of those ba$tards!!! Since I'm just a kid, he bags me for no front license
tag. I had taken the front bumper off to work on the car and hadn't put it back
on yet...

I go over to the GF's house and we hang out all day. On the way home I take the
highway to run the Healey up a little bit. Purrs like a kitten. It is amazing
what 3 carbs will do for a 6 banger. Anyway, I get off the highway onto a state
route. A state trooper pulls me over and tells me to sit in his car. He writes
out a ticket and tells me to sign it. I asked what for and he says "No front
license tag". I tell him I can't sign it and he says "Why not?" I pull the
other ticket out of my pocket and I say "Cuz I already got one!!!"

Boy was he pi$$ed off. Them state boys can't void a ticket without a big hassle
from their bosses! Anyway, he voids it and then proceeds to do a safety
inspection right there on the street. Got his tread gauge out and everything.
When he told me "left turn signal" I stuck my arm out... Did the same for a
right turn signal too! He couldn't find anything to tag me for so he let me go.
Man, I was careful driving on that SR for quite a while. I figured that he was
out to get me!

After that experience I alway test drove my Limey cars on the back roads where
I could run from them without worrying about being caught! It always cheered me
up to see a deputy give up the chase because all of a sudden I was going the
other way and they passed me before they realized that I had done a
bootlegger's turn on them!

Kent
1960 Bugeye