Re: First drive!

To: "Keith Turk" <kturk@ala.net>, "Chris King" <cbking@alum.rpi.edu>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: First drive!
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 09:46:48 -0400
ROFLMAO!!!!
i had one that was a bit worse!  back in the late 70's when i was still drag
racing my 55 chevy i had just put in a fresh motor and  new comp. clutch.  i
decided that i needed(needed!) to test it out a little before i went any
further with anything else.  it was all together and i had a set of header
mufflers on it as at the time i lived in the city!   but!  i took it about a
block away and thought "what the heck" it was a side street , there was no
traffic ....so i set the brakes and hit the line lock button and proceeded
to test out the new motor!  *grin*
just as i released the line lock button and grabbed second gear the car
lurched and had a real unplesant (kinda grinding) stop in the middle of the
street!    it had sheared off all 5 wheel lug studs on the right rear axle!
i got out...went through a few choice expletives and walked home and got a
few studs and went back and stuck just enough studs into it to limp it back
to the house.   no sooner did i get out and a police cruiser drove by!  i
got away with it!  but that prompted me to buy a set of strange engineering
axles with screw in studs!   LOL!
that was the beginning of trying to be real carefull about matching
performance of the motor to the rest of the components!
btw!  that car sits here and has not been driven since 1979 !   it needs
real brakes and steering as it turned out to be way too fast for stock 55
chevy brakes and steering!  but!  i stil have it! :)   and one day it wil
end up as a fun pro street car!  *sigh* the memories.....

chuck.