FW: The Heater as Cooler - longish

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: FW: The Heater as Cooler - longish
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 12:25:14 -0700
Using this theory of flow mechanics, I could then block off the radiator
in the back with a metal plate and it wouldn't harm the flow, but if I
put the plate in front it would?  Maybe if you are talking about laminar
flow and Reynolds number and transport theorem you could show some
difference in flow between the front and rear mounted fan.  In the case
of a spridget radiator you don't have anything approaching laminar flow.
The fan will freewheel in both cases and only come on if called for by
the thermostat or switch.  In the case of a bug-I with a crossflow
radiator you only have about 1 inch between the waterpump pulley and the
rear of the radiator.  So the point is the electric fan must be mounted
in the front, and you couldn't measure the difference in flow anyway.
                Crash

This normal airflow is obstructed by the fan in front of the radiator,
but
with the fan behind the rad, this airflow is hardly impeded and the fan
will
only come on when called for by the thermostat.

Guy