Re: Safety glasses and eyeballs NOW a bit longish

To: "Guy R Day" <grday@btinternet.com>, "David Lieb" <dbl@chicagolandmgclub.com>, "Spridget List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Safety glasses and eyeballs NOW a bit longish
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 07:38:59 -0700
Hi Guy,

Not likely you can put the anti-scratch coating back on the lens, if in fact
it was ever there!  Many prescription lenses have the coating on just one
side, the front.  That's because they start their life as a "blank" with a
factory applied coating on both sides, but with the generating and curve
grinding on the concave side it removes material and coating.  So good bye
coating!

OTH, it may have been applied after the lens is ground and polished where
it's put on under some pretty strict very clean type of operation with
significant heat used in the process.  That you'll never be able to replace.
But it's also usually pretty indestructible and doesn't come off easily.
You can still scratch it though, so care needs to be taken when cleaning.
Flush with water for starters and finish wipe only with very clean absorbent
material.  Wipe, I said, don't do any circular polishing on it with a rag.
That just builds up a static charge and attracts more dust!!  Blow them off
when outdoors by simply your breath!!

Later, Paul A