Re: Soda blasting

To: Craig Reese <creese@spillman.com>
Subject: Re: Soda blasting
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 22:12:41 -0500
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Craig Reese wrote:

> Wondering if anyone in the group has had experience with soda blasting
> their cars.

Craig

I just had my big healey media blasted.
all the rust was gone, in fact, they used gloved hands to push it on the
trailer and told me to use gloved hands until I etch primed it.
On the inside of 1 fender, he could not get the rust all the way out.
I used Rust Mort (phosphoric acid prodeuct) on it.
Rust mort turns minor rust (not cancerous rust) into a solid stable
surface. 2 or 3 light coats, never heavy coats.
And use a good acid etch primer over all the bare metal.
All my blasted metal got etch primer, new metal got zinc chromate
primer, the problem areas and inner panels all got epoxy primer over the
etch, and finally filler primer over all the exterior.
You can use body filler over etch or epoxy primer.

--
Frank Clarici
Toms River, NJ