Re: Soda blasting

To: <KrkLH@cs.com>
Subject: Re: Soda blasting
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2004 20:38:51 -0500
Cc: <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Hi.
I found it that it takes forever to strip anything with a DA sander. Using a
variable speed straight sander with 60-80 grit is much better. I sometimes
use an angle die grinder with 50 grit roloc disks on the curved areas, takes
the paint right off. There is enough tooth in the surface so I just use
epoxy after cleaning instead of an etch primer, filler goes on top of the
epoxy. I have also been experimenting with a direct to metal primer
surfacer, iso free, it builds and sands nice but we'll see how it holds up.
To minimize sanding priming cycles I spray on a black guide coat and block
with180 grit on a long board until it's flat and the guide coat is gone.
Another coat or two of primer and block with 600 wet then shoot the color or
base.
For color sanding I have found that a short throw orbital sander with a soft
pad and 1500-3000 finishing film does a great job of smoothing out the dust
nibs and orange peel. Way better than hand water sanding and ten times
faster.
I've never used HOK paint, mostly PPG, but I've heard good things about it.
This Sprite I'm working on has been sort of a test mule for stuff I've
wanted to try, one thing I found out is to stay away from Omni paint, it's a
cheap urethane, but doesn't cover well, tends to run and you end up using
twice as much.
Don't know if any of this is any good, just a few things I've learned.

Good luck,
John