Re: 63 Spitfire

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: 63 Spitfire
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 19:18:51 -0600 reply-type=response with any abuse report
>   May I suggest that we write some kind words about the cars we DO like
> rather than harping on about the ones we don't like.

Rick,
The gentleman in question specifically asked for honest opinions about the
1963 Spitfire in the subject line. At that point, your mother's line about
"if you can't say anything nice..." does not apply.

I happen to think that the Triumph GT6 is one of the prettiest coupes ever
produced by the British car industry. I do not care much for the convertible
Spitfire. Quite the opposite applies to the MGB; I rather like the
convertible B, but I think the BGT is one of the ugliest coupes produced by
the afore-mentioned BCI. Strange, isn't it? Perhaps partially explained by
the fact that the B borrowed some of its better lines from the Spridget?

My understanding has been that the version of the Triumph engines that went
into the Spitfires was somewhat better than the ones which ended up in the
US version of the rubber-bumpered Midgets. Little details like the presence
of actual cam bearings and so forth. The availability of an overdrive was
another plus, although I do not know whether it applied in 1963. At least it
is easier to put an OD into a Spit than into a Midget. Easier to put a
5-speed into the Midget, however... Certainly, there is a good following for
the Spits, too, so I guess us Spridgeteers have not cornered the market on
insanity.

Per your request, I love my RWA Midgets. They are comfortable, fun to drive,
affordable to work on and a bit out of the ordinary to see on the street. I
wish there were someone around here that I felt comfortable with to do some
bodywork for me. I don't want concours, but it would be nice to find someone
who is affordable and who also understands the issues of Midget bodywork.
Know anybody in the Chicago area who isn't disqualified by one or the other
of those criteria? How about within towing distance. I do not like bodywork,
I do not have the facilities, or the skills, nor do I have the time to spend
on it.
David Lieb