Re: Under the Bonnet

To: jimj@starrtech.net, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Under the Bonnet
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 03:52:17 EST
In a message dated 12/15/04 7:06:28 PM, jimj@starrtech.net writes:

> I have a list of things to tackle on the 1968 Midget and I have no clue on
> one
> of them. I'll eventually be painting the car BRG (it's that pukey orange
> color
> now) but I have no idea what to do with the paint in the engine bay. Should
> it
> be the same as the exterior or some other color?

Originally the engine bay   was painted to match the car's exterior. I have
seen a number of cars where the engine bay, wheel wells, etc. are painted
black--flat or satin are best from my point of view.
>  There isn't much rust under
> there and I should be able to do a section at at time by removing most of
> the
> hardware/wiring/etc and then cleaning and wire brushing (dremel or other
> power
> brush) and finally brushing/spraying on the paint.

Just get the rust treated before painting.

> It's not going to be a
> concours car or anything but I might as well have it look original if I'm
> going to do it. Next guy who gets it might want to go concours - who knows?

I suggest that if YOU want a concours car you should try to have it look
original.   Forget what the next guy wants.   Who cares?   If your car is all
in
one piece with matching numbers, I wouldn't throw the old engine away,
regardless of what you keep for yourself.   The matching numbers could be
worth
something to someone someday.

> I have a bottle of home brew ready for whomever comes up with the best
> answer
> here....  All ya have to do is come by and get it....
>
> Don't touch the stuff, but ask questions as long as you like.

Annice & Bob
1960 Bugeye (Mk. IV in disguise) "The Sprite"
1966 Sprite Mk. III (Still in Boxes) "Trevor"