Re: tire size?

To: conan <conan@intrex.net>, Spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: tire size?
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2005 09:58:56 -0700
> will fit the stock (4-1/2"x13") wheels is 165/70x13
Which years used 4-1/2" rims?  Mine are 4" x 13" which is too skinny for a
165/70.  I think what's even more important though is finding a tire that's
not too hard for such a light car. Rubber compositions keep getting harder
and harder, which means less and less traction.  I've been finding it
extremely difficult to get tires that aren't out and out scary on my 2000lb
CRX.  Anything with a tread warranty of 50,000 miles or more makes it handle
like a slick track cart. I've recently gone to Sumitomo performance tires on
the Honda which have no tread warranty at all. They're OK, but still don't
handle as well as cheap Nittos or Mastercrafts from ten years ago.  It seems
as though they're now all formulated to go 80,000 miles on a 6,000lb SUV.
If anybody has any good suggestions, I'm currently looking for new tires for
the Sprite. Sumitomo doesn't make anything skinny enough.
BZ