Re: Daughter's New (used) Car [NO LBC]

To: spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Daughter's New (used) Car [NO LBC]
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 21:24:04 -0400
Spridgets:
"haven't been built for 26 years, and I've owned no less than 3 that had
under 50k miles on the clock."
How true. So many low mileage Sprites were parked only because they
needed a clutch. Ask George MariNOS about the Bugeye he owned.

SSR
"The Chevrolet SSR might actually lack collectibility, simply because at
its price point and low sales volume, no 20 year old will have any fond
memories of it when they are 60."
A client of mine owns one. He a car enthusiast but in his Seventies.
Another guy in town has one. He's 65.

Corvettes
"The average Corvette owner is recovering from their first heart bypass
surgery, "
You say that tongue in cheek but that's actually true in many cases.

'stangs
"I mean early Mustangs were poor handling, and slow"
And that comment is from a Falcon guy. Other than the performance
Mustangs, none of 'em ever did anything for moi. I'd rather own the real
thing: a Falcon.
"...but so many people got their first intimate encounter in the back
seat, they had to become collectable."
How true. Our neighbors recently acquired a 65 Mustang ($20 grand for a
ragtop "driver". Ouch!) The missus blushed when she was telling us about
their affection for the Mustang: "We had our first date in a Mustang".

"Camaro, Firebird, and Mustang are on my list because with a 5 year old
resale value of $4-6000 dollars, they wind up in the hands of younger
drivers, "
Now here's a scary thought. I've read that with the increase in gas
prices and it's affect on the value of SUV's (You know, those 4wd
off-road vehicles. Got to get to the grocery store somehow when it
snows.) that they are dropping into the price range where they are
affordable for young drivers. Young drivers, the ones with little
behind-the-wheel experience in vehicles with normal centers of gravity,
who go out with 3,4,5,6 of their friends for drives. Comforting thought
isn't it? A few years ago, a newly licensed 16 year old in a neighboring
town struck and killed a pedestrian and hurt others  when she drove off
the road in her parents Suburban leaving a county fair. There was a
mitigating circumstance however. Her windshield was fogged so she
couldn't see. She was safe in the Suburban though. It's too bad that
there aren't affordable safe street driving schools, like the ones
offered by Skip Barber, that would be financially attractive for parents
to send their youngin's to REALLY learn vehicle control.

Brad mentioned the Pontiac Aztec. Believe it or not there is a Pontiac
Aztec club. I read about it in the NY Times. (If you've never heard of
it, the NY Times is a left-wing newspaper from the radical Northeast.)
Most member have the factory camper option (they get together for
camping events.). IMO, the best camper option they could offer for the
Aztec would be one in which the tent was large enough to get the whole
vehicle inside so it could be hidden from view!

There was one vehicle on your list that really stood out for me. The
original Nissan SE-R.

That vehicle is an absolute blast to drive: a stripped-out, light-weight
can with serious hp and that's prior to tuning mods. I owned one of
those for about 2 months. What a blast!

Personally, I'm just waiting for a more attractive exchange rate on the
pound  so that I can seriously look at an Elise. And I don't want the
stinking carpet option, either! (Ahhhhhh, I never thought I would see
the day again when carpets weren't included as original equipment!)

jay fishbein
wallingford, ct <http://home.ix.netcom.com/%7Etype79/>

http://home.ix.netcom.com/~type79/