Re: Ebay Sellers--an shill bidding

To: "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Ebay Sellers--an shill bidding
Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 11:15:33 -0600 reply-type=response {sentby:smtp 24.15.214.89 authed with dbl@chicagolandmgclub.com} with any abuse report
>I don't worry about shill bidding, because I SNIPE any auction I want to
>win.  With DSL broadband connection I can make bids in the last few seconds
>of an auction.  I decide my maximum I am willing to pay and  if the auction
>has exceeded that before it ends, I don't bid.

That is exactly what I do as well. If I win the auction, I pay no more than
I was willing to spend; if I lose the auction, it went for more than it was
worth to me. The whole "auction" effect is not accurately reflected in the
ebay experience. A typical 7-day auction consists of 6.9 days of sitting out
there for people to find, followed by 15 minutes of a limit curve
representing frenzied attempts to pay as little as possible for it. The net
result is seldom in the seller's favor.
I like the fact that ebay allows people to sell items on a wider scale so
they can find the comparatively small market for Spridget parts on a
nation-wide basis (ok, Robert, a multi-national level). It is not ideal, but
I can live with that.
David Lieb