Re: Re[2]: Non-hypothetical question, 1098 vs. 1275

To: Bill L <pythias@pacifier.com>
Subject: Re: Re[2]: Non-hypothetical question, 1098 vs. 1275
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 05:28:42 GMT
Cc: spridgets <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
Nope....I know exactly where you are coming from, Bill. You are having the same
experience with your 1098 that I had with mine. Just because an engine will go
to 6,500rpm doesn't mean it HAS to go there
for decent performance.

It's all in how you "cam" and "gear". To
get the 4 speed equipped Spridget to "go"
while being able to cruise comfortably
at 70, you have to tune for upper mid-range. This isn't the case with the 5
speed.

I purposely spec'd my current 1293 based to
some extent on my low-end "grunt" 1098
experience, considering the 5 speed will allow 70mph highway cruise at a far
lower
rpm than the 4 speed.

The result is a very quick and peppy "stoplight to stoplight" application
that will cruise very nicely (@, yep...35mpg:) at 70mph, considering it's 5
speed and 3.73
diff. Best of both worlds and the engine never has to see the other side of
5,500rpm
to "perform". All other factors equal, with
normal scheduled maintenance, this
motor should last a good long time. Anyway, that's the plan! :)

And if and when the 3.73 goes, we'll go to
a 3.55 because as you say, I really could just
about get along without 1st gear with the
present 3.73.

Cap'n. Bob      '60 :{)