RE: Re[2]: Non-hypothetical question, 1098 vs. 1275

To: "Robert E. Shlafer" <pilotrob@webtv.net>, "Bill L" <pythias@pacifier.com>
Subject: RE: Re[2]: Non-hypothetical question, 1098 vs. 1275
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 12:28:58 -0500
Cc: "spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Don't think the Ansa rear box, for a rubber bumpered B will fit too well,
due to the upswept tail pipes.  However, the Ansa for the chrome bumpered Bs
nestles very nicely between the gas tank and the left leaf springs.  You
need to fabricate a different, more rigid/solid rear hanger, and shorten the
pipe leading into the rear box.  If using the stock 1275 exhaust pipe,
between the manifold and the muffler box, you need to use an adapter, to
accommodate the increased diameter of the B Ansa box.  I use a small bore,
LCB header, on my '72 Midget, and fabricated my own exhaust pipe, of larger
diameter pipe (same dia. as Ansa), expanded on the ends, by a local muffler
shop, as needed.  I'm not sure about the diameters/differences in diameter,
as it's been on there for 15 years, and all I've had to do is listen to it
;)  When I take it off, this winter (planning to pull the engine, to freshen
it up, and to do the engine compartment cleaning/detailing that I never got
around to, when I refurbished the car), I'll take some photos, and share
them with the list, along with some measurements.  I'll also photograph the
down-pipe protector that I fabricated, to protect my precious LCB header.
The '73 I'm working on now, for my son, will get the same protector (but not
a LCB header), as will the Mk.I, and Mk.I
1/2.
Although I normally refuse to deal with Victoria British, I'll have to look
into that r&p kit.  Thanks for the info.
Bud Osbourne