RE: Can't Make it Here Anymore

To: "Mark Hineline" <hineline@ocotillofield.net>
Subject: RE: Can't Make it Here Anymore
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 11:44:59 -0500
Cc: "Spridget List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
That '59 Olds you mention is a good illustration of where our society was
heading.  While our open society has many benefits, one of the down side
effects is that, when some folks accumulate a little bit of disposable
income, they often don't have the up-bringing that would have taught them
how best to handle it.  I mean, once that money is spent on something as
expensive, and temporary, as a new car, it's mostly gone, for good.
The great, post WW II economic boom just kind of overwhelmed our society.
While much of the outcome has been very positive, there have been some
major, negative effects from that era, which are rapidly breaking down our
society today.  GM (and others) just had the presence of mind to realize the
benefits of cashing in on the trend, good or bad.
Some of that newly made, disposable income was what nurtured the atmosphere
that spawned the Sprite, after all.  While I'm sure life would have gone on
without the sports cars we've enjoyed so much, I know my life would have
been much less enjoyable without them.
Bud Osbourne