Re: Off Topic - Apple Mac Mini

To: "Larry B. Macy, Ph.D." <macy@bbl.med.upenn.edu>
Subject: Re: Off Topic - Apple Mac Mini
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 08:51:05 -0600 reply-type=response
Cc: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
I will concede most comments and corrections where my statements were
general based on what I see nothing more.
1. My statement in regards to it being announced at MacWorld was meant as
Mac in general not the mini in particular, it is presumed all the Mac line
will go this way.
2.  Someone will get windoz going, I'm sure.  Agreed it will not be out of
the box.
Can we agree on *nix?  I mean FreeBSD is more *nix than anything else, the
core foundation is similar and the command structure is all but the same.
Agreed why run windoz on it, just a statement that things are getting more
similar than not.
3. comments in regards to low end were based on what we see at work, where
we do buy high end PC's and low end Macs.  Why I have no clue, I've asked
that question for years.  Actually the answer is structure in that the ones
that buy don't pay for repairs, they are not concerned about that (their
words not mine).  The goal is to get as many computers in the hands of
students as possible for those that purchase, never mind that they break and
fail more often.
4.OSX is a dream if you want to base your network on OSX, but I can tell you
it is very expensive to have a  duel NOS.  NOS is my background and no not
Windows OS either I despise MS Server.  Mainly *nix and Novell.  In either
case still a pain.  It is not cost effective to change the NOS of a network
with over 15000 users for just one OS, where 70% is PC based (good or bad).
So in that it is a pain for us, again speaking of large networks where most
won't encounter that areana.
5.We have 20 techs to support both platforms, all our techs are proficient
in both OS's.
6.agreed on the virus, some say it is because there are fewer so why waste
the time...I say due to a superior Kernel.
7.Ok, maybe 99% was high how about 70% do what I named with there home
computer of choice and I did leave off digital media manipulation, and I
agree Mac has that hands down!

All good points, I'm just not one that thinks Mac's are the 100% answer,
then again I don't think any platform is the "answer".

cs