Mixture setting by ear 62 948

To: <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Mixture setting by ear 62 948
From: "Dan Gillitzer" <dang@ticon.net>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 21:05:24 -0500
Hi all. Trying to get my carbs a little more in tune, kind of a novice with
the carbs, esp SU's, which I admit seem to be about the most basic carb
available.
This was initially done with an experienced friend, who's gone through a job
change and failry unavailable now, BUT I was paying attention.
The jets were set to level, then backed down the specified number of turns (12
flats sound right?), just to get the car running.
To me the car seems rich, you can see a puff of black smoke when shifting up
and to my ear it "sounds" rich and smells a bit rich. When lifting up on the
carb pistons, the rpm seems to stay the same. I have the rods that insert into
a tube which inserts into the top of the pistons with the damper removed, and
they seem to stay in synch just fine, and the pistons also return to the same
spot if I lift up or push down on them, with the engine at idle.
So wondering if anyone has a tip or two, mainly on setting up the mixture
correctly.
It's hard to describe an engine noise, but by "sounds rich", the
engine/exhaust noise sort of has a muffled "pup pup pup" noise, and this is
not really an even sound, does it a few times, then clears up for a few
seconds and is back a few more times and so on.
I think I have all the basics covered, would like to get it a bit nicer
running before I have this inspection done next week. How will I know I
haven't leaned it out too much? I mean besides the engine not running or lack
of power/pinging/melting down, etc?
Dan