Re: Mixture setting by ear 62 948

To: "\"Dan Gillitzer\" <dang@ticon.net>" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Mixture setting by ear 62 948
From: "CHRIS KOTTING" <ckotting@wideopenwest.com>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 06:31:16 -0600
On Thu, 18 May 2006 04:08:48 -0500, Dan Gillitzer wrote
> OK, I see what you're saying now. Have a couple follow up questions
> if'n you don't mind: Is it considered the correct practice to make
> the adjustments to both carbs? If I make a change of one flat, I
> should be doing this to both carbs automatically, don't change just
> 1 carb right?

Yes, at least initially.  You may get into a situation where one carb will
want to be one flat richer or leaner than the other, but it's VERY subtle.

> Speaking of my choke, I am having trouble releasing
> them, the jets don't seem to want to drop down to normal position by
> themselves.

Uh, they come up when you release the shoke.  The choke pulls them down.

> Not sure if the choke cable is supposed to assist them
> down or not (choke cable inner wire is solid, not a braided cable).
> Outer cable pops up out of the small doo-hickey (or what PPP calls a
> "framus") in the rear carb that the end of the outer cable rests in,
> the small tube-looking thing. When I am adjusting the carbs, I am
> making sure the jets are fully up though.

Not having a 948 sitting here on my desk (now THAT would be cool...), I
can't visualize what you're saying, so I'll defer to others.

> Also, on the choke trick,
>  if I disconnect the bar which links the choke levers together, and
> hold the throttle high by hand, could I just pull down the choke a
> bit on each carb individually to see if the mixture is OK on each
> carb? Or again, just do them as a pair?

Just do them as a pair.  You do not want to mess with the linkages between
them if they're reasonably well synchronized.

Chris K.

Multiple Sclerosis 150 Mile "Pedal to the Point"
(Yes, 150 miles on a bicycle. No, I'm not a masochist.)
Sponsor Me! ->  http://tinyurl.com/f48lg