Re: low oil pressure

To: "Spridget List" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: low oil pressure
From: "David Lieb" <dbl@chicagolandmgclub.com>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 11:29:57 -0500
>> If the motor needs to come out can it be removed leaving the gearbox in
>> place?
>
> You CAN do this, but DON'T.  It'll be a nightmare to put the engine
> back in.  Pull both together. Just did this job to replace a clutch
> and engine back plate. After pulling the engine alone, I went back and
> pulled the tranny too as I could see how much trouble it was going to
> be to get the engine lined up to the tranny pilot shaft!

>From the other perspective, I have done this several times. In fact, in
sorting out Mickey's clutch, I did it twice in two weeks. It isn't very
difficult taking it out or putting it back in.

On an RWA Midget,

Disconnect the exhaust

Pull the air filters off

Disconnect throttle cable and choke cable

Disconnect fuel line and breather hoses, etc.

Pull the distributor, the starter, the radiator, the crossover pipe,the NUTS
on the LH motor mount, and the three BOLTS on the RH motor mount.

Attach the engine to the hoist using the method of your choice (I use a 3"
wide nylon strap from HF in a figure 8, one loop around the harmonic, one
loop around the back of the engine, both ends and the cross through the hook
of the hoist).

There are now 8 more bolts holding the engine backing plate to the
transmission. They are relatively easy to access. Once they are out, use a
jack under front of the trans to control the angle of the trans and gently
separate the two. Yes, it is tight, yes it will fit.

If you are removing the pressure plate, it is quite simple to re-center the
clutch disk when reassmbling by using your fingers on the three cutouts of
the pressure plate housing to line it up; works quite well, no need for an
alignment tool.

Re-assembly isn't bad, either. Use the jack under the trans to lift the
front of the trans as high as possible and slip it together. Make sure the
rod does not slip out of the slave cylinder in the process ;-)
David Lieb
Team SU