RE: Today's date

To: "'Jim Johnson'" <bmwwxman@gmail.com>, <rrengineer@dslextreme.com>
Subject: RE: Today's date
From: "Wm. Severin Thompson" <wsthompson@thicko.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 06:34:45 -0500
Haha... recently I watched the documentary about the actor that played young
Darth Vader, and a pal of his, that rode around the world on BMW
motorcycles. It was the night before my youngest daughter's high school
graduation. I figured of those Hollywood pussies could ride around the
world, I could ride my '77 SuperGlide FXE for the 300 mile round trip last
Saturday. I enjoyed the irony of my youngest daughter achieving a milestone
in her education on her path to being a young adult, and here my 50 year old
dumbass is going to try to recapture a bit of youth gone by with this
lengthy ride.

It was a nice day, but didn't start well. A pre-trip inspection revealed the
front exhaust pipe was about to fall off. Fixed that. Got on the bike, and
my 10 year old leather jacket's zipper broke... so I had to stop at the bike
shop and pick up a light jacket on the ride down. Even though I brought
sunscreen, for the 9AM to 11:30 AM ride, I didn't think I'd need it (wrong).

The SuperGlide is a solid mount shovelhead, with the original seat on it,
and about an hour into the ride, you have do determine whether the numbness
of your ass cheeks or soreness of your tailbone bothers you more.

The real inconvenience in the day's 300 miles was the lack of a windshield.
I wear contacts, and for the 30 minute rides I usually undertake, my RayBans
are fine. For this trip, I really wished I'd had goggles (or a windshield),
as my eyes were definitely toast by the end of that day.

I'd do it again (with a windshield).