Re: daily drivers

To: Les Jones <lcjones@croakingfrog.net>, spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: daily drivers
From: "Robert E. Shlafer" <pilotrob@webtv.net>
Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2006 03:29:34 GMT
If the car is in decent shape and kept up
in accordance with mfg's scheduled maint.
it'll do just fine, Les. Commuted down and
back from Stamford to NYC airports (sometimes twice a week...60 mi. round trip)
for 20+ years or so in both MGB's and
Spridgets.

Like any car, it can break down of course.
I've always had AAA or insurance company
provided road assistance.

But these cars (when properly maintained)were no less reliable than any other
car and most assuredly so when equipped with one of the modern aftermarket
electronic ignitions (Crane or PerTronix) which allows the car to stay in
correct/proper tune over many more miles.

I've had half-shafts break (twice) and once, an electric fuel pump quit. Thats
about it while driving these cars on the foregoing & following daily commutes
for about 30 years.

As a youth, I commuted to NYC by MGA on
assorted nice days. Were the Big Apple's roads better, I'd have used the MGA
more for this purpose and saved the train for
inclement weather back-up. Again, basically a 60 mile round trip commute.

Today, I am retired from my profession but
do other work locally (am today within 5 miles of workplace) for fun, corp.
medical bennies and spending money.

I use the Frog as a daily driver in good weather (the top never goes
up) backed up by my trusty '85 VW GTi for
cold and/or inclement weather.

Considering the length of your commute,
I'd suggest you look into a Datsun 5 speed conversion when the time comes. While
the Series A is basically bulletproof and will  take a licking and keep on
ticking, that
5th gear will save you money in engine wear and fuel over time/miles assuming
limited access highway use is in the cards.

Cap'n Bob
 '60 :{)

Cap'n. Bob      '60 :{)