Re: Helium in Tires

To: cfchrist@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: Helium in Tires
From: "John D. Caffrey" <jdc6@lehigh.edu>
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2006 07:45:19 -0400 (EDT)
FVee weight is close to your sports racer at 825 Lbs. Do you run those
low pressures for hillclimbs and the longer vintage races? I'm sure
that is what feels best, but maybe it's because of the treaded tires
with sidewalls that are a bit too stiff for the weight? I wouldn't be
able to keep the tires on the rims at 10 psi, and the car wallows
around too much at 15 psi cold pressure. I will occasionally start at
17F/19R when the track is green, like on a test day, so the car will
respond slower and the tires will build heat quicker. Normal starting
pressures of 20 psi give the fastest response and the car is more
stable, and we always stop in the pits after the session to check em
hot, and then we can fine tune the cold pressure for the next session.
When I raced the Sprite on 20x8-13 GY cantilever slicks, the ideal
pressures were the exactly same.

Are you going to Macungie for the street rod show?
John

Charles Christ wrote:

>wow!  john you run with pressures that high?  the sports racer runs 10
F. &