Re: How were Spridets sold originally?

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: How were Spridets sold originally?
From: Jay Fishbein <type79@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 2006 09:39:45 -0500
"This is not only inedible, but there's not enough of it." Vivian Stanshall

That story reminds me that when I first started fooling with Bugeyes it
was the late 70's and I often went to Statewide Motors in North Haven,
CT to buy or order parts right at the parts counter including
competition parts. At the time they were a Nissan and MG dealer and of
course still had new cars on the showroom floor.

Even after they stopped producing B's and Midgets I could still order
factory parts right from the Sprite-Midget Centre in jolly old England.
No repro stuff back in the Eighties. Everything came in orange Lucas
boxes, red, white & blue Unipart boxes, or in something with a Leyland
sticker or logo on it. Oh, I almost forgot, the exchange rate was $1.07
at the time! There wasn't any internet but I would either telephone or
drop an order in the mail and receive my parts in 2 weeks time.

There was also an import dealer in the next town north of Wallingford,
in Meriden, CT. They sold Austins, MG's and Triumphs and continued in
business even after the cars stopped being imported, albeit only for a
few years. Oh the stuff I passed-up at that dealer. He had an NOS orange
hradtop sitting there for the longest time, but I had no use for it. I
could never get him to sell the signs at a price I could afford, which
would equate to peanuts now.

The old days!

jay fishbein
wallingford, ct <http://home.ix.netcom.com/%7Etype79/>