Mech Fuel Injection

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Mech Fuel Injection
From: Chris M West <chris_west@juno.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 11:19:35 -0500
Any one ever used mechanical fuel injection or know any thing about it?
This one looks very interesting. The guy who gave me the link had it
installed on a Mini.

Vigil - I've had factory (VW) training in the K Jetronic system and it is
pretty bulletproof.  The most critical factor in adapting this system to
another car is the fuel distributor.  If you can find one for a car with
an engine of roughly equal displacement you will be ahead of the game,
since less adjustment will be needed.  As stated, the overall mixture is
adjusted via the air flow meter but the flow to individual injectors can
be modified at the fuel distributor via the allen head plunger located
under the fittings for each injector line.  Having an appropriately sized
(for engine displacement) injector is also helpful.

The weakest point in the whole system is the Control Pressure (or Warm
Up) Regulator fuel circuit.  In every system I've seen (VW, Volvo, Saab
and BMW) the fuel to this component is UNfiltered, as the feed line taps
off the fuel delivery line upstream of the filter.  This allows crud from
the tank to plug the inadequate filter screen inside the CPR and
adversely affect the mixture. (Low control pressure = higher piston in
the fuel distributor = too rich mixture)  So if I were to adapt a system
to another car I would take this fuel feed after the filter or put
another (high pressure rated) filter in this line.

Chris

AN5L35578