Re: Mech Fuel injection

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Mech Fuel injection
From: Chris M West <chris_west@juno.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 21:46:29 -0500
Dan Gillitzer wrote:  But would K Jet be considered a "mechanical" fuel
injection system? I know a
bit about what MB referred to as CIS and CIS-E injection. They both are
equipped (correct me if I'm wrong) a control module,

CIS ( K Jetronic) is purely mechanical, no ECM used or required. The CIS
is short for Constant Injection System as the injectors spray all the
time rather than being pulsed.  CIS-E (aka Lambda ) system used an O2
sensor and a Lambda module ( ie: an ECM.)    Other Bosch systems such as
the D Jetronic (Air Flow Controlled or Manifold Pressure Controlled) used
ECMs and electronically pulsed injectors.  The MPC system (used on VW
Type 3 ) was pure junk and many owners retrofitted the earlier dual
carbs.  AFC was pretty reliable but a backfire could (and would) damage
the air flow sensor and would require its replacement.  A backfire in a
CIS system might require the air flow plate to be recentered, but usually
not.

Chris

AN5L35578