Re: Portable generators --No LBC

To: "Dave G." <dmg@bossig.com>
Subject: Re: Portable generators --No LBC
From: Lester <lewing@sport.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 08:09:17 -0600
Dave is on to the REAL problem.  I learned this when I installed a
15KW generator  (We are in a similar situation, end of the line with
branches everywhere) and I wanted to power the entire house.

During startup our A/C system pulled something like 600 amps for a
VERY brief time, after that it was an easy thing to keep going.  Have
the A/C tech install a "Hard start kit" which from what I can see is
nothing more than a big capacitor but it makes a big difference.

Also, we installed a cut off switch, think Frankenstein here, that
disconnects the house from any external power.  Keeps the electric
folk safe too..

Lester