RE: Portable generators --No LBC

To: "'Billy Zoom'" <billyzoom@billyzoom.com>, "'John D'Agostino'"
Subject: RE: Portable generators --No LBC
From: "Wm. Severin Thompson" <wsthompson@thicko.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 15:29:23 -0600
Since I live out in the corn in WI, I've looked into a switch set up. My
house has 200 amp service. It feeds 60 amp service to a box in the garage
and a 100 amp box in the Thicko shop. I'd hoped to wire the switch into the
shop area and backfill to the house with juice...but the advise was as
someone else said... power drop based on the length of the cabling. I've got
a portable5kw generator for the race trailer... it's on wheels, and has a
recoil start. I also have a 2 cylinder Onan 4.5 with electric start that
came out of an RV. Ideally, I'd rather use this one, and wire it to
automatically start if power goes out.

I have a well pump, and a twin oil/wood furnace in the house, a basement
freezer, and a refrigerator. Ideally, if you have a fire in the wood
furnace, you need to keep the fan running rather than over heat the firebox.
In the shop, an infra red propane furnace services the space, and does not
require a fan.

Ultimately, the Onan may have to power the house, and the portable gen
power the well pump.

I can recall the great ice storm in Jan '67 in IL when we were out of power
for a week.